There are a lot of myths out there about family lawyers in Sydney. Some people think that they only deal with divorce and child custody cases. Others believe that they are too expensive and won’t be able to help them get the outcome they want. In this article, we will debunk 10 of the most common myths about family lawyers in Sydney!
- They Only Deal with Divorces and Custody Cases: False! Family lawyers in Sydney do more than just divorce-related cases. Many specialise in other areas, such as wills, trusts, estate planning, probate, and guardianship. They are also experienced in disputes involving property and financial matters.
- They Are All Expensive: False! While some solicitors may charge higher rates, there are many who are affordable and can provide quality legal services without breaking the bank. It is important to shop around and compare prices when looking for a family lawyer in Sydney that can meet your needs.
- You Don’t Need One if You Can Agree on Everything: False! Even if you and your ex have agreed on all issues, it is best to have a solicitor review the agreement and provide legal advice. This will help ensure that any agreement will be legally binding and enforceable if there are ever any disputes in the future.
- They Only Help with Negotiations: False! Family lawyers in Sydney can do more than just negotiate on your behalf. They can also provide strategic advice, such as helping clients prepare for court hearings or mediation. In addition, they are knowledgeable about legislation and relevant cases, which can help them develop strategies to achieve a favourable outcome for their client’s cases.
- They Are All the Same: False! Different solicitors have different areas of expertise. Some specialise in mediation, while others may focus on child custody or disputes. When looking for a solicitor, it is important to find one who has experience with the type of case you are dealing with.
- They Don’t Care About Your Feelings: False! They understand that cases relating to divorce can be emotionally difficult and draining for their clients. A good solicitor will take the time to listen to their client’s concerns and provide emotional support as well as legal advice.
- They Aren’t Knowledgeable About Other Legal Areas: False! Many family lawyers in Sydney are knowledgeable about other areas like criminal or commercial law. Having solicitors who are knowledgeable about other areas can be beneficial if there is an overlap between other legal matters.
- They Don’t Communicate: False! A good family lawyer in Sydney will take the time to keep their clients informed about their cases and provide written updates as needed. If a solicitor does not communicate regularly with their client, it may be best to find another who is more willing to stay in contact.
- You Need To Hire One Even if You’re Not Going to Court: False! While having a solicitor can help prepare you for court hearings, they can also help with negotiations outside of court. They can provide advice on how to negotiate disputes outside of court and help draft legally binding agreements.
- They Are Not Trustworthy: False! A good family lawyer in Sydney will always act in the best interests of their client and provide honest advice on how to achieve the most favourable outcome for their case. Finding a solicitor that you can trust is essential when dealing with legal matters.
Family lawyers in Sydney have an important role in helping individuals resolve issues relating to a divorce, but there are many misconceptions about them. We hope this article has helped debunk some of these myths and give you a better understanding of what family lawyers in Sydney can do for you!